The bishop's examining chaplain; the examiner at Eton for the
King's College fellowship. (Welsh, posiaw, to examine; French, poser; Latin, pono.) Hence, a puzzling question.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Poser from Infoplease:
- poser: meaning and definitions - poser: Definition and Pronunciation
- Poser - Poser The bishop's examining chaplain; the examiner at Eton for the King's College ...
- poser - poser: n. [from French poseur] A wannabee; not hacker slang, but used among crackers, phreaks and ...
- S.L.C. Punk! - Starring Matthew Lillard, Michael Goorjian, Annabeth Gish, Jennifer Lien, Chiara Barzini
- Louisa May Alcott: Naughty Nan - "Fritz, I've got a new idea," cried Mrs. Bhaer, as she met her husband one day after school.