(A). A word, like post, which contains several meanings
packed together; as, post (a stake), post for letters, post paper, slow
as a post, fast as a post, post-horses, and so on.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Portmanteau Word from Infoplease:
- portmanteau word: meaning and definitions - portmanteau word: Definition and Pronunciation
- Portmanteau Word - Portmanteau Word (A). A word, like post, which contains several meanings packed together; as, post ...
- carboloy - carboloy carboloy [portmanteau word from carbon and alloy], an alloy containing cobalt, tungsten, ...
- installfest - installfest [Linux community since c.1998] Common portmanteau word for “installation ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: P - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "P"