(A). A borough where the influence of the magnate is so
powerful as to be able to control the election of any candidate he may
choose to support. Well nigh a thing of the past since the introduction
of voting by ballot.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pocket Borough from Infoplease:
- pocket borough: meaning and definitions - pocket borough: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pocket Borough - Pocket Borough (A). A borough where the influence of the magnate is so powerful as to be able to ...
- Reform Acts - Reform Acts Reform Acts or Reform Bills,in British history, name given to three major measures that ...
- Beat - Beat A track, line, or appointed range. A walk often trodden or beaten by the feet, as a ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: P - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "P"