Rich as Plutus. In Greek mythology Plutos is the god of riches.
Plutus and Pluto are widely different.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plutus from Infoplease:
- Hercules and Plutus - When Hercules was received among the gods and was entertained at a banquet by Jupiter, he responded courteously to the greetings of all with the excep
- Plutus - Plutus Rich as Plutus. In Greek mythology Plutos is the god of riches. Plutus and Pluto are widely ...
- The Fox and the Leopard - A Fox and a Leopard were disputing about their looks, and each claimed to be the more handsome of the two. The Leopard said, "Look at my smart coat; y
- Cephisodotus - Cephisodotus Cephisodotus , Gr. Kephisodotos, fl. 4th cent. B.C., two Greek sculptors. The elder, ...
- The Lion, the Wolf, and the Fox - A Lion, infirm with age, lay sick in his den, and all the beasts of the forest came to inquire after his health with the exception of the Fox. The Wol