Common people; properly it means the free citizens of Rome, who
were neither patricians nor clients. They were, however, free
landowners, and had their own “gentës.” (Latin, plebes, 2 syl.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plebeians from Infoplease:
- plebeian: meaning and definitions - plebeian: Definition and Pronunciation
- What does it mean? plebeian - plebeian -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which of the following modes of ...
- plebs - plebs plebs or plebeians[Lat. plebs=people], general body of Roman citizens, as distinct from the ...
- plebeians - plebeians: plebeians: see plebs.
- Plebeians - Plebeians Common people; properly it means the free citizens of Rome, who were neither patricians ...