from planta gemeta (broom-plant), the family cognisance
first assumed by the Earl of Anjou, the first of his race, during a
pilgrimage to the Holy Land, as a symbol of humility. (Sir George
) Died 1622.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plantagenet from Infoplease:
- Angevin - Angevin Angevin [Fr.,=of Anjou], name of two medieval dynasties originating in France. The first ...
- Plantagenet - Plantagenet: Plantagenet: see Angevin.
- Plantagenet: meaning and definitions - Plantagenet: Definition and Pronunciation
- Geoffrey Plantagenet - Geoffrey Plantagenet: Geoffrey Plantagenet: see Geoffrey IV.
- Plantagenet - Plantagenet from planta gemeta (broom-plant), the family cognisance first assumed by the Earl of ...