One who impounds cattle, or takes care of the cattle impounded;
thus George-a-Green was the
“Pinder of Wakefield,” and his encounter with Robin Hood, Scarlet,
and Little John forms the subject of one of the Robin Hood ballads.
(Anglo-Saxon pund, a fold.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pinder from Infoplease:
- pinder: meaning and definitions - pinder: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pinder - Pinder One who impounds cattle, or takes care of the cattle impounded; thus George-a-Green was the ...
- Current Government Officials: Bahamas, The - World > Heads of State Info Bahamas, The Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign ...
- peanut - peanut peanut, name for a low, annual leguminous plant (Arachis hypogaea) of the family Leguminosae ...
- George a' Green - George a' Green As good as George a' Green. Resolute-minded; one who will do his duty come ...