A scabbard. (Anglo-Saxon, pylce; Latin, pellis, skin.)
“Will you pluck your sword out of his pilcher?” —Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet, iii. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pilcher from Infoplease:
- John Leonard PILCHER - John Leonard PILCHER (1898-1981) PILCHER, John Leonard, a Representative from Georgia; born on a ...
- Pilcher - Pilcher A scabbard. (Anglo-Saxon, pylce; Latin, pellis, skin.) “Will you pluck your sword out ...
- Cradle Will Rock - Starring Hank Azaria, Ruben Blades, Joan Cusack, John Cusack, Cary Elwes
- Amelia - Starring Hilary Swank, Richard Gere, Ewan McGregor, Mia Wasikowska, Christopher Eccleston
- The Namesake - Starring Jagannath Guha, Kal Penn, Zuleikha Robinson, Irrfan Khan, Tabu