Pig in a Poke
(A). A blind bargain. The French say Acheter chat en poche. The reference is to a common trick in days gone by of substituting a
cat for a sucking-pig, and trying to palm it off on greenhorns. If
anyone heedlessly bought the article without examination he bought a
“cat” for a “pig;” but if he opened the sack he
“let the cat out of the bag,” and the trick was disclosed. The
French chat en poche refers to the fact, while our proverb
regards the trick. Pocket is diminutive of poke.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pig in a Poke from Infoplease:
- pig in a poke: meaning and definitions - pig in a poke: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pig in a Poke - Pig in a Poke (A). A blind bargain. The French say Acheter chat en poche. The reference is to a ...
- Buying a Pig in a Poke - Buying a Pig in a Poke (See Pig , etc.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index pi Pia Piacenza piacular Piaf piaffe Piaget Piagetian pial pia mater pian pianette ...
- Cat Proverbs - Cat Proverbs A cat has nine lives. A cat is more tenacious of life than other animals, because it ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring