A sect of Lutherans in the seventeenth century, who sought to
introduce a more moral life and a more “evangelical” spirit of doctrine
into the reformed church. In Germany the word Pietist is about
equal to our vulgar use of Methodist.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pietists from Infoplease:
- Pietism: meaning and definitions - Pietism: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pietists - Pietists A sect of Lutherans in the seventeenth century, who sought to introduce a more moral life ...
- Amana Church Society - Amana Church Society Amana Church Society , corporate name of a group of seven small villages in E ...
- Christian von Wolff - Wolff or Wolf, Christian von Wolff or Wolf, Christian von , 1679–1754, German philosopher. ...
- Brethren - Brethren Brethren, German Baptist religious group. They were popularly known as Dunkards, Dunkers, ...