The inhabitants of Albin, north-east of Scotland. The name is
usually said to be the Latin picti (painted [or tattooed] with
woad), but in the Irish chronicles the Picts are called Pictones,
Pictores, Piccardaig, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Picts from Infoplease:
- Pict: meaning and definitions - Pict: Definition and Pronunciation
- Picts - Picts Picts, ancient inhabitants of central and N Scotland, of uncertain origin. First mentioned ...
- Picts - Picts The inhabitants of Albin, north-east of Scotland. The name is usually said to be the Latin ...
- Picts' Houses - Picts' Houses Those underground buildings more accurately termed “earth houses,” as ...
- Pictish: meaning and definitions - Pictish: Definition and Pronunciation