A lighthouse; so called from the lighthouse built by Sostratus
Cnidius in the island of Pharos, near the port of Alexandria, in Egypt.
It was 450 feet high, and could be seen at the distance of 100 miles.
Part was blown down in 793. This Pharos was one of the Seven Wonders of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pharos from Infoplease:
- Hvar - Hvar Hvar , Gr. Pharos, Ital. Lesina, island (1991 est. pop. 11,400), 112 sq mi (290 sq km), in the ...
- Pharos - Pharos Pharos , peninsula, extending into the Mediterranean Sea, N Egypt, NE Africa, forming two ...
- Pharos: meaning and definitions - Pharos: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/pharos - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Pharos - Pharos A lighthouse; so called from the lighthouse built by Sostratus Cnidius in the island of ...