(plur. PERIS). Peris are delicate, gentle, fairy-like beings
of Eastern mythology, begotten by fallen spirits. They direct with a
wand the pure in mind the way to heaven. These lovely creatures,
according to the Koran, are under the sovereignty of Eblis; and Mahomet
was sent for their conversion, as well as for that of man.
Like peris' wands, when pointing out the road
For some pure spirit to the blest abode.
Thomas Moore. Lalla Rookh, pt. i.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Peri from Infoplease:
- peri: meaning and definitions - peri: Definition and Pronunciation
- peri - peri peri , in Persian mythology, supernatural being. Peris were said to be fallen angels who were ...
- Jacopo Peri - Peri, Jacopo Peri, Jacopo , 1561–1633, Italian composer and singer. Dafne (c.1597), perhaps ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/peri - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Peri - Peri (plur. PERIS). Peris are delicate, gentle, fairy-like beings of Eastern mythology, begotten by ...