(Arthur). The hero of Thackeray's novel, entitled The
History of Pendennis, etc.
A tuft-hunter, similar in character to Macklin's celebrated Sir
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pendennis from Infoplease:
- Pendennis - Pendennis (Arthur). The hero of Thackeray's novel, entitled The History of Pendennis, etc. ...
- Falmouth, town, England - Falmouth Falmouth , town (1991 pop. 17,810), Cornwall, SW England, on a small peninsula between ...
- William Makepeace Thackeray - Thackeray, William Makepeace Thackeray, William Makepeace , 1811–63, English novelist, b. ...
- Butter - Butter Soft soap, soft solder (pron. saw-der), “wiping down” with winning words. Punch ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: P - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "P"