The “kiss of peace.” Also a sacred utensil used when mass is
celebrated by a high dignitary. It is sometimes a crucifix, sometimes a
tablet, and sometimes a reliquary. The pax is omitted on Maundy
Thursday, from horror at the kiss of Judas.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pax from Infoplease:
- pax: meaning and definitions - pax: Definition and Pronunciation
- pax vobiscum: meaning and definitions - pax vobiscum: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pax - Pax Pax , in Roman religion, goddess of peace. Vespasian erected a temple to her at Rome. Her ...
- K-PAX - Starring Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, Alfre Woodard, Aaron Paul, Mary McCormack
- Pax - Pax The “kiss of peace.” Also a sacred utensil used when mass is celebrated by a high ...