The leaf symbolises the spear.
The five anthers, the five wounds.
The tendrils, the cords or whips.
The column of the ovary, the pillar of the cross. The
stamens, the hammers.
The three styles, the three nails.
The fleshy threads within the flowers, the crown of thorns.
The calyx, the glory or nimbus.
The white tint, purity.
The blue tint, heaven.
It keeps open three days; symbolising the three years' ministry.
(Matt. xii. 40.) (See Pike's Head.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Passion Flower from Infoplease:
- Passion Flower - Passion Flower The leaf symbolises the spear. The five anthers, the five wounds. The tendrils, the ...
- Grace Hazard Conkling: Tampico - Oh, cut me reeds to blow upon, Or gather me a star, But leave the sultry passion-flowers Growing where they are.
- Dolores Ibarruri - Ibarruri, Dolores Ibarruri, Dolores , 1895–1989, Spanish political leader. A founder of the ...
- Jacinto Benavente y Martínez - Benavente y Martínez, Jacinto Benavente y Martínez, Jacinto , 1866–1954, ...
- Julia Ward Howe - Julia Ward Howe social reformer, writer Born: 5/27/1819 Birthplace: New York, N.Y. Julia Ward was ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring