A pass or A common pass. An ordinary degree, without
honours. Where a person is allowed to pass up the senate-house to his
degree without being “plucked.” (See Pluck.)
Well to pass.
Well to do. Here “pass” is the synonym of fare (Saxon, faran, to go or pass). Shakespeare has the expression, “How goes it?” —i.e. How fares it, how passes it?
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pass from Infoplease:
- passing: meaning and definitions - passing: Definition and Pronunciation
- pass - pass pass, opening or way by which a natural or artificial barrier can be crossed. The term pass is ...
- Khyber Pass: meaning and definitions - Khyber Pass: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bolan Pass - Bolan Pass Bolan Pass or Bholan Pass, gap in the central Brahui Range, W Pakistan; c.60 mi (100 km) ...
- Passing - Passing AFC Cmp/Att Yds TD Elvis Grbac, KC vs. Oak. (11/5) 39/53 504 2 Vinny Testaverde, NYJ vs. ...