Paradise of Fools
The Hindus, Mahometans, Scandinavians, and Roman Catholics have
devised a place between Paradise and “Purgatory” to get rid of a
theological difficulty. If there is no sin without intention, then
infants and idiots cannot commit sin, and if they die cannot be
consigned to the purgatory of evil-doers; but, not being believers or
good-doers, they cannot be placed with the saints. The Roman Catholics
place them in the Paradise of Infants and the Paradise of Fools.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Paradise of Fools from Infoplease:
- Paradise of Fools - Paradise of Fools The Hindus, Mahometans, Scandinavians, and Roman Catholics have devised a place ...
- Limbus Fatuorum - Limbus Fatuorum The Limbus of Fools, or Fool's Paradise. As fools are not responsible for their ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index FLRA flu flub flubdub fluctuant fluctuate fluctuation flucytosine flue flue-cure ...
- John Milton - Paradise Lost: Book III - HAil holy light, ofspring of Heav'n first-born, Or of th' Eternal Coeternal beam May I express thee unblam'd? since God is light, And never but in una
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: P - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "P"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring