Treeless plains, some 2,000 miles long and from 300 to 500
broad, in South America. They cover an area of 750,000 square miles. It
is an Indian word meaning flats or plains.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pampas from Infoplease:
- pampas - pampas pampas , wide, flat, grassy plains of temperate S South America, c.300,000 sq mi (777,000 sq ...
- pampas grass - pampas grass pampas grass, any species of the genus Cortaderia, tall South American plants of the ...
- pampas grass: meaning and definitions - pampas grass: Definition and Pronunciation
- pampas: meaning and definitions - pampas: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pampa - Pampa Pampa , city (1990 pop. 19,959), seat of Gray co., extreme N Tex. This cow town on the ...