the covering thrown over a coffin, is the Latin pallium, a square piece of cloth used by the Romans to throw over their
shoulders, or to cover them in bed; hence a coverlet.
the long sweeping robe, is the Roman palla, worn only by
princes and women of honest fame. This differed greatly from the pallium, which was worn by freemen and slaves, soldiers, and
Sometimes let gorgeous Tragedy
In sceptred pall come sweeping by.
Milton: Il Peuseroso
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pall from Infoplease:
- pall: meaning and definitions - pall: Definition and Pronunciation
- David Pall - Biography of David Pall, David Pall invented the Leukocyte Reduction Filter which makes blood transfusions safer. He also helped develop a filter critical to the Man…
- Pall - Pall the covering thrown over a coffin, is the Latin pallium, a square piece of cloth used by the ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/pall mall - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Pall-bearers - Pall-bearers The custom of appointing men of mark for pall-bearers, has come to us from the Romans. ...