originally called Melicertes. Son of Ino; called Palaemon after he
was made a sea-god. The Roman Portunus, the protecting god of
harbours, is the same. (See Palemon.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Palaemon from Infoplease:
- Isthmian games - Isthmian games Isthmian games , athletic events organized c.581 B.C. They were held at Corinth in ...
- Palaemon - Palaemon: Palaemon: see Isthmian games.
- Palaemon - Palaemon originally called Melicertes. Son of Ino; called Palaemon after he was made a sea-god. The ...
- prawn: meaning and definitions - prawn: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ino - Ino Ino , in Greek mythology, daughter of Cadmus. She was the wife of Athamas, to whom she bore ...