Painters and Artists
Characteristics of great artists. The brilliant truth of a
Watteau, the dead reality of a Poussin, the touching grace of a
“The colouring of Titian, the expression of Rubens, the grace of
Raphael, the purity of Domenichino, the correggioscity of Correggio,
the learning of Poussin, the airs of Guido, the taste of the Caracci,
the grand contour of Angelo.” Sterne.
“The April freshness of Giotto, the piety of Fra Angelo, the virginal
purity of the young Raphael, the sweet gravity of John Bellini, the
philosophic depth of Da Vinci, the sublime clevation of Michael Angelo,
the suavity of Fra Bartolommco, the delicacy of the Della Robbia the restrained powers of Roscellini.”
Defects of great artists.
In MICHAEL ANGELO the ankles are too narrow. In TITIAN the palm of
the thumb is too prominent. In RAPHAEL the ears are badly drawn.
IN PINTURICCHIO both ears and hands are badly drawn.
Prince of painters.
Parrhasios, the Greek painter, so called himself. (Fifth century
B.C.) Apelles of Cos. (Fourth century B.C.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Painters and Artists from Infoplease:
- Painters and Artists - Painters and Artists Characteristics of great artists. The brilliant truth of a Watteau, the dead ...
- Pablo Picasso: Other Stylistic Innovations - Other Stylistic Innovations Picasso's enormous energy and fecundity was manifested by another ...
- April 4 Birthdays: Maya Angelou - April 4 birthdays: Maya Angelou, Heath Ledger, Maurice de Vlaminck, William H. Jackson, Dorothea Dix, Robert Sherwood, Edward Hicks, Muddy Waters
- Limner - Limner A drawer, a painter, an artist. A contraction of illuminator, or rather lumenier (one who ...
- October 25 Birthdays: Pablo Picasso - October 25 birthdays: Pablo Picasso, Bob Knight, Ciara, Sarah Bernhard, Anne Tyler, John Berryman, Georges Bizet, Midori, Henry Norris Russell , Johann Strauss, Richard E. Byrd