The North American Indians paint their faces only when they go
to war; hostilities over, they wash it off.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Paint from Infoplease:
- paint - paint paint, mixture of a pigment and a binding medium, usually thinned with a solvent to form a ...
- painting - painting painting, direct application of pigment to a surface to produce by tones of color or of ...
- Painted Desert - Painted Desert Painted Desert, badlands on the northeastern bank of the Little Colorado River, NE ...
- miniature painting - miniature painting miniature painting [Ital.,=artwork, especially manuscript initial letters, done ...
- Art Page - Find an art glossary, definitions of art movements, biographies of artists and photographers, museum information, and more