The golden sands of the Pactolus. The gold found in the
Pactolian sands was from the mines of Mount Tmolus; but the supply
ceased at the commencement of the Christian era. (See Midas.)
Now called Bagouly.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pactolus from Infoplease:
- Pactolus - Pactolus Pactolus , small river of ancient Lydia, W central Asia Minor (now Turkey), joining the ...
- Pactolus: meaning and definitions - Pactolus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/pactolus - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Pactolus - Pactolus The golden sands of the Pactolus. The gold found in the Pactolian sands was from the mines ...
- Midas - Midas Midas , in Greek mythology, king of Phrygia. Because he befriended Silenus, the oldest of the ...