St. Mary Overy (Southwark). John Overie was a ferryman, who
used to ferry passengers from Southwark to the City, and accumulated a
hoard of wealth by penurious savings. His daughter Mary, at his
decease, became a nun, and founded the church of St. Mary Overy on the
site of her father's house.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Overy from Infoplease:
- Overy - Overy St. Mary Overy (Southwark). John Overie was a ferryman, who used to ferry passengers from ...
- air forces: Bibliography - Bibliography See R. Higham, Airpower (1972); L. Kennett, A History of Strategic Bombing (1982); R. ...
- Adolf Hitler: Bibliography - Bibliography See his Mein Kampf (complete tr. 1940), Hitler's Secret Conversations, ...
- National Socialism: Bibliography - Bibliography See H. Rauschning, The Revolution of Nihilism (tr. 1939); F. Neumann, Behemoth (2d ed. ...
- Battle of Britain - Battle of Britain Battle of Britain, in World War II, series of air battles between Great Britain ...