The Duke of York was Bishop of Osnaburg Not prelate, but
sovereign-bishop. By the treaty of Westphalia, in 1648, it was decreed
that the ancient bishop should be vested alternately in a Catholic
bishop and a Protestant prince of the House of Luneburg. Frederick,
Duke of York, was the last sovereign-bishop of Osnaburg. In 1803 the
district was attached to Hanover, and it now forms part of the kingdom
Osnaburg A kind of coarse linen made of flax and tow, originally
imported from Osnaburg.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Osnaburg from Infoplease:
- osnaburg: meaning and definitions - osnaburg: Definition and Pronunciation
- Osnaburg - Osnaburg The Duke of York was Bishop of Osnaburg Not prelate, but sovereign-bishop. By the treaty ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Oruro ORuss ORV Orvieto Orville Orwell Orwellian -ory oryx orzo os O.S.A. Osage ...
- A Dream - Poems and Songs of Robert Burnsby Robert Burns Address Of Beelzebub A Dedication A Dream Thoughts, ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: O - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "O"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring