A giant hunter, noted for his beauty. He was blinded by
Enopion, but Vulcan sent Cedalion to be his guide, and his sight was
restored by exposing his eyeballs to the sun. Being slain by Diana, he
was made one of the constellations, and is supposed to be attended with
stormy weather. “Assurgens fluctu nimbosus Orion.” (Virgil: AEneid, i. 539.)
“As beautiful as Orion.” Ilomer: Iliad, xviii.
Wife of Orion.
Dogs of Orion.
Arctophonos and Ptoöh'agos.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Orion from Infoplease:
- Orion, in astronomy - Orion Orion, in astronomy, constellation located on the celestial equator. It is one of the most ...
- Orion, in Greek mythology - Orion Orion , in Greek mythology, Boeotian hunter. When Oenopion delayed giving his daughter Merope ...
- Orion: meaning and definitions - Orion: Definition and Pronunciation
- Orion's Belt (Orions belte) - Starring Helge Jordal, Sverre Anker Ousdal, Hans Ola Sorlie, Kjersti Holmen, Jon Eikemo
- The 88 Recognized Constellations - The 88 Recognized Constellations In astronomical works, the Latin names of the constellations are ...