Stale news. Hawker's (or piper's) news. “Le secret de
A pinch for old news.
A schoolboy's punishment to one of his mates for telling as news
what is well known.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Old News from Infoplease:
- Old News - Old News Stale news. Hawker's (or piper's) news. “Le secret de polichinelle.” A ...
- Lateline - Lateline NBC Tuesday 9:30–10:00 p.m. Cast: Al Franken, Miguel Ferrer, Robert Foxworth, Megyn ...
- Secret de Polichinelle - Secret de Polichinelle (Le). No secret at all. A secret known to all the world; old news. We have ...
- William Shakespeare: Taming of the Shrew, Act III, Scene II - Signior Lucentio, this is the 'pointed day. That Katharina and Petruchio should be married, And yet we hear not of our son-in-law. What will be said?
- William Shakespeare: As You Like It, Act I - As I remember, Adam, it was upon this fashion bequeathed me by will but poor a thousand crowns, and, as thou sayest, charged my brother, on his blessi