Virginia. Every Act of Parliament to the Declaration of
Independence designated Virginia “the Colony and Dominion of Virginia.” Captain John Smith, in his History of Virginia (1629), calls
this “colony and dominion” Ould Virginia, in contradistinction
to New England, and other British settlements.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Old Dominion from Infoplease:
- Old Dominion: meaning and definitions - Old Dominion: Definition and Pronunciation
- Old Dominion - Old Dominion Virginia. Every Act of Parliament to the Declaration of Independence designated ...
- NCAA Championship Game - NCAA Championship Game Tennessee 68 Min FG M-A FT M-A Pts Reb O-T A F Tiffani Johnson 30 4-4 0-0 8 ...
- Women's Final Four - Women's Final Four at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati (March 28-30). Semifinals Old Dominion ...
- Mellon Foundation - Mellon Foundation Mellon Foundation, officially the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, philanthropic ...