(Count). Lord of Dordrecht, near the Meuse. When Bertha,
one of his vassals, asked permission to marry John of Leyden, the count
refused, resolving to make her his mistress. This drove John into
rebellion, and he joined the Anabaptists. The count was taken prisoner
by Giona, a discarded servant, but liberated by John. When John was
crowned Prophet-king, the count entered his banquet-hall to arrest
him, and perished with John in the flames of the burning palace. (Meyerbeer: Le Prophète, a romance.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Oberthal from Infoplease:
- Oberth: meaning and definitions - Oberth: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hermann Julius Oberth - Oberth, Hermann Julius Oberth, Hermann Julius, 1894–1989, Austro-German astronautical ...
- Oberthal - Oberthal (Count). Lord of Dordrecht, near the Meuse. When Bertha, one of his vassals, asked ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index O, o OA oaf Oahu oak Oak Creek Oakdale oaken oak fern Oak Forest oak gall Oak ...
- Wernher von Braun - von Braun, Wernher von Braun, Wernher , 1912–77, German-American rocket expert, b. Germany, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring