A principle by which the first letter of each word in the expression is used alone
A. E. I. O. U.
Austria's Empire Is Overall Universal. (See A. E. I. O. U.)
A ER. A—i.e. Anno ERat Augusti. (See Æra.)
Clifford, Ashley, Buckingham, Arlington, Lauderdale. (See Cabal.)
Chelsea, London, Islington, Office. (See Clio.)
“When hempe is spun England is done.”
Henry, Edward, Mary, Philip, Elizabeth. (See Hempe.)
Hip! hip! hurrah!
Hierosolyma Est Perdita. (See Hip.)
Iesous CHristos THeou Uios Soter. (See Ichthus.)
I. T. N. O. T. G. A. O. T. U.
In The Name Of The Great Architect Of The Universe.
A Freemason's notarica.
King's Own Light Infantry (the 51st Foot).
Louis, Iames, Mary, Prince. (See Limp.)
Mi Camokah, Baelim Jehovah. (See Maccabzeus.)
North, East, West, South. (See News.)
Stephen Marshall, Edmund Calamy, Thomas Young, Matthew Newcomen, Unilliam Spurstow. (See Smec.)
True Old Royal Yeoman.
The following palindrome may be added:
E.T.L.N.L.T.E. Eat to live, Never live to eat.
In Latin thus:
E.U.V.N.V.U.R. Edas ut vivas, ne vivas ut edas.
We Hope In God.
Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England—i.e.
Wales, Ireland, and Scotland added to England.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Notarica from Infoplease:
- Notarica - Notarica A principle by which the first letter of each word in the expression is used alone A. E. ...
- Maccabzaeus - Maccabzaeus The Hammerer. A surname given to Judas Asmonaeus; similar to “Martel,” the ...
- Smectymnus - Smectymnus (See Notarica.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894 Related ...
- Ichthus - Ichthus for l e'sous, CH ristos, TH eou U ios, S oter. This notarica is found on many seals, ...
- Limp - Limp Formed of the initial letters of Louis (XIV.), James, Mary, Prince (of Wales). A Jacobite ...