(Michael). An astrologer who published an annual “Almanack,” very similar in character to that of “Francis Moore,” and a Recueil
of Prophecies, in four-line stanzas, extending over seven
The Nostradamus of Portugal.
Goncalo Annes Bandarra, a poet-cobbler, whose lucubrations were
stopped by the Inquisition. (Died 1556.)
As good a prophet as Nostradamus
-i.e. so obscure that none can make out your meaning. Nostradamus was a
provincial astrologer of the sixteenth century, who has left a number
of prophecies in verse, but what they mean no one has yet been able to
discover (French proverb.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nostradamus from Infoplease:
- Nostradamus: meaning and definitions - Nostradamus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nostradamus - Nostradamus Nostradamus , 1503–66, French astrologer and physician, whose real name was ...
- Nostradamus - Biography of Nostradamus, The 16th-century French physician who made creepy predictions
- December 14 Birthdays: Nostradamus - December 14 birthdays: Nostradamus, Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Michael Owen, James Doolittle, Patty Duke, John Mercer Langston, Shirley Jackson, Tycho Brahe
- Nostradamus - Nostradamus (Michael). An astrologer who published an annual “Almanack,” very similar ...