The Poles are the vintagers in Normandy. The Norman vintage
consists of apples beaten down by poles. The French say, “En
Normandie l'on vendange avee la gaule,” where gaule is a play on
the word Gaul, but really means a pole.
The Gem of Normandy.
Emma, daughter of Richard I. (* -1052.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Normandy from Infoplease:
- Robert I, duke of Normandy - Robert I Robert I (Robert the Magnificent), d. 1035, duke of Normandy (1027–35); father of ...
- Robert I: meaning and definitions - Robert I: Definition and Pronunciation
- Normandy - Normandy Normandy , Fr. Normandie, region and former province, NW France, bordering on the English ...
- Normandy: meaning and definitions - Normandy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hotel Normandy - Starring Héléna Noguerra, Eric Elmosnino, Ary Abittan, Frédérique Bel, Anne Girouard