A Tom Noddy is a very foolish or half-witted person, “a
noodle.” The marine birds called Noddies are so silly that anyone can
go up to them and knock them down with a stick. A donkey is called a
Neddy Noddy. Minshew has a capital guess derivation, well fitted for a
Dictionary of Fable. He says, “Noddy, a fool, so called because he nods his head when he ought to speak.” Just as well derive
wise-man from why, because he wants to know the why of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Noddy from Infoplease:
- noddy - noddy noddy, tropical tern including five species in the genus Anous. The name noddy is said to ...
- noddy: meaning and definitions - noddy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/noddy - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Noddy - Noddy A Tom Noddy is a very foolish or half-witted person, “a noodle.” The marine birds ...
- noddy - noddy: /nod´ee/, adj. [UK: from the children's books] 1. Small and un-useful, but ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring