(mas.), Nixie (fem.). Kind busy-body. Little creatures
not unlike the Scotch brownie and German kobold. They
wear a red cap, and are ever ready to lend a helping hand to the
industrious and thrifty (See Nick.)
“Another tribe of water-fairies are the Nixes, who frequently assume
the appearance of beautiful maidens.” —T. F. T. Dyer: Folk-lore of
Plants, chap. vii. p. 90.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nix from Infoplease:
- nix - nix nix or nixie,in Germanic mythology, water sprite. The nixes could assume various shapes, most ...
- nix: meaning and definitions - nix: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/nix - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Nix - Nix (mas.), Nixie (fem.). Kind busy-body. Little creatures not unlike the Scotch brownie and German ...
- Robert Nelson Cornelius NIX, Sr. - Robert Nelson Cornelius NIX, Sr. (1898-1987) NIX, Robert Nelson Cornelius, Sr., a Representative ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring