(The). Milton, in his Arcades, speaks of the
“celestial syrens' harmony that sit upon the nine enfolded spheres.” The nine spheres are those of the Moon, of Mercury, of Venus, of the
Sun, of Mars, of Jupiter, of Saturn, of the Firmament, and of the
Crystalline. Above these nine heavens or spheres come the Primum
Mobile, and then the Heaven of the heavens, or abode of Deity and His
The earth was supposed to be in the centre of this system.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nine Spheres from Infoplease:
- Nine Spheres - Nine Spheres (The). Milton, in his Arcades, speaks of the “celestial syrens' harmony that ...
- Fixt - Fixt (The). That is, the Firmament. According to the Ptolemaic System, the earth is surrounded by ...
- Music of the Spheres - Music of the Spheres Pythagoras was the first who suggested the notion so beautifully expressed by ...
- Heaven - Heaven (Anglo-Saxon, heofon, from heofen, elevated, vaulted.) THE THREE HEAVENS. (According to the ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: N - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "N"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring