The Egyptians used to say that the swelling of the Nile was
caused by the tears of Isis. The feast of Isis was celebrated at the
anniversary of the death of Osiris, when Isis was supposed to mourn for
The hero of the Nile.
Horatio, Lord Nelson (1758-1805).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nile from Infoplease:
- Victoria Nile - Victoria Nile Victoria Nile, river, section of the White Nile, c.260 mi (420 km) long, central ...
- Hezekiah Niles - Niles, Hezekiah Niles, Hezekiah, 1777–1839, American journalist, b. Jefferis's Ford, Pa. ...
- Blue Nile - Blue Nile Blue Nile, Arab. Al Bahr al Azraq, river, c.1,000 mi (1,600 km) long, the chief ...
- White Nile - White Nile White Nile, river, one of the chief tributaries of the Nile, E Africa. The name is ...
- Abu Qir - Abu Qir Abu Qir or Abukir, village, N Egypt, on a promontory in the Nile River delta. Admiral ...