One who nicks or hits a mark exactly. Certain night-larkers,
whose game was to break windows with halfpence, assumed this name in
the early part of the eighteenth century.
His scattered pence the flying Nicker flings,
And with the copper shower the casement rings.
Gay: Trivia, iii
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nicker from Infoplease:
- nicker: meaning and definitions - nicker: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nicker - Nicker One who nicks or hits a mark exactly. Certain night-larkers, whose game was to break windows ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Neuchâtel Neufchâtel Neuilly neuk Neumann neume Neupest neur- neural ...
- In-and-In - In-and-In A game with four dice, once extremely common, and frequently alluded to. “In” ...
- Scowerers - Scowerers A set of rakes in the eighteenth century, who, with the Nickers and Mohocks, committed ...