(a man's name). A contraction and diminutive of Mine
Edward-Mine Eddy, My N'Eddy. Teddy is the French tu, toi, form; and Neddy the nunation form. (Ed', Ted, Ned.)
A donkey; a low cart used in Dublin; so called because its jolting
keeps the riders eternally nodding.
“The `Set-down' was succeeded by the Noddy, so called from its
oscillating motion backwards and forwards.” —Sketches of Ireland (1847).
A dunce; a euphemism for “an ass.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Neddy from Infoplease:
- neddy: meaning and definitions - neddy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Neddy - Neddy (a man's name). A contraction and diminutive of Mine Edward-Mine Eddy, My N'Eddy. ...
- Amy Lowell: Number 3 on the Docket - The lawyer, are you? Well! I ain't got nothin' to say. Nothin'! I told the perlice I hadn't nothin'. They know'd real well 'twas me. Ther warn't no su
- Noddy - Noddy A Tom Noddy is a very foolish or half-witted person, “a noodle.” The marine birds ...
- Dickey - Dickey or Dicky. A donkey; anciently called a Dick-ass, now termed Jack-ass. It is a term of ...