called “Leather Stocking.” He appears in five of Fenimore
Cooper's novels: as the Deerslayer; the Pathfinder; the Hawk-eye (La Longue Carabine), in the Last of the Mohicans; Natty
Bumppo, in the Pioncers; and the Trapper in the Prairie, in which he dies.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Natty Bumppo from Infoplease:
- Natty Bumppo - Natty Bumppo called “Leather Stocking.” He appears in five of Fenimore Cooper's ...
- Pathfinder - Pathfinder Major-General John Charles Fremont, who conducted four expeditions across the Rocky ...
- James Fenimore Cooper - Biography of James Fenimore Cooper, The American novelist who wrote The Last of the Mohicans
- Trapper - Trapper in America, is one whose vocation is to set traps for wild animals for the sake of their ...
- James Fenimore Cooper - Cooper, James Fenimore Cooper, James Fenimore, 1789–1851, American novelist, b. Burlington, ...