(1 syl.). Edict of Nantes. The decree of Henri IV. of
France, published from Nantes in 1598, securing freedom of religion to
all Protestants. Louis XIV. repealed this edict in 1685.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nantes from Infoplease:
- Edict of Nantes - Nantes, Edict of Nantes, Edict of, 1598, decree promulgated at Nantes by King Henry IV to restore ...
- Nantes: meaning and definitions - Nantes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nantes - Nantes Nantes , city (1990 pop. 252,029), capital of Loire-Atlantique dept., W France, on the Loire ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/nantes - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Nantes - Nantes (1 syl.). Edict of Nantes. The decree of Henri IV. of France, published from Nantes in 1598, ...