An Arabic word, signifying that point in the heavens which is
directly opposite to the zenith.
From zenith down to nadir.
From the highest point of elevation to the lowest depth. Nadir. A representation of the planetary system.
“We then lost (1091) a most beautiful table, fabricated of different
metals ... Saturn was of copper, Jupiter of gold, Mars of iron, the Sun
of latten, Mercury of amber, Venus of tin, and the Moon of silver ...
It was the most celebrated nadir in all England.” —Ingulphus.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nadir from Infoplease:
- nadir: meaning and definitions - nadir: Definition and Pronunciation
- nadir - nadir nadir [Arab.,=opposite], in astronomy, the point on the celestial sphere directly opposite ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/nadir - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Nadir - Nadir An Arabic word, signifying that point in the heavens which is directly opposite to the ...
- Zenith, Nadir - Zenith, Nadir Zenith is the point of the heavens immediately over the head of the spectator. Nadir ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring