is the Egyptian word mum, wax; from the custom of anointing
the body with wax and wrapping it in cerecloth. (Persian, momia, wax; Italian, mummia; French, momie.) (See Beaten.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mummy from Infoplease:
- The Mummy - The original, a silent picture with horror icon Boris Karloff remains a classic
- The Mummy - The Mummy Director/Writer: Stephen Sommers Universal; PG-13; 134 minutes Release: 6/99 Cast: ...
- mummy bag: meaning and definitions - mummy bag: Definition and Pronunciation
- mummy: meaning and definitions - mummy: Definition and Pronunciation
- mummy - mummy mummy, dead human or animal body preserved by embalming or by unusual natural conditions. As ...