A strong beer made in Brunswick; so called from Christian
Mummer, by whom it was first brewed.
(a mask), hence mummer. Mum's the word. Keep what is told
you a profound secret. (See Mumchance.)
“Seal up your lips, and give no words but- mum.” Shakespeare: 2
Henry VI., i. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mum from Infoplease:
- mumming play - mumming play mumming play, form of drama developed in England in the early 17th cent., based on the ...
- mum: meaning and definitions - mum: Definition and Pronunciation
- Keeping Mum - Starring Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith, Patrick Swayze, Emilia Fox
- Mum - Mum A strong beer made in Brunswick; so called from Christian Mummer, by whom it was first brewed. ...
- Britain's Royal Family Tree - The Royal Family Tree Click on a royal family member to read the complete biography by David ...