Mother of Books
Alexandria was so called from its library, which was the
largest ever collected before the invention of printing.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mother of Books from Infoplease:
- Mother of Books - Mother of Books Alexandria was so called from its library, which was the largest ever collected ...
- The Koran/Sura I - This Sura, which Nöldeke places last, and Muir sixth, in the earliest class of Meccan Suras, must at least have been composed prior to Sura xxxvii. 18
- Maxim Gorky - Biography of Maxim Gorky, Russian writer known for his socialist realism
- The Koran/Sura XLIII — Ornaments of Gold - In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- Louisa May Alcott: Little Faithful - For a week the amount of virtue in the old house would have supplied the neighborhood. It was really amazing, for everyone seemed in a heavenly frame