In the Middle Ages, the Europeans called all Mahometans Moors, in the same manner as the Eastern nations called all
inhabitants of Europe Franks. Camoens, in the Lusiad, terms the Indians “Moors.” (Bk. viii.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Moors from Infoplease:
- Moore: meaning and definitions - Moore: Definition and Pronunciation
- Edward Moore - Moore, Edward Moore, Edward, 1712–57, English dramatist. He wrote two comedies in the ...
- Barrington Moore - Moore, Barrington Moore, Barrington, 1913–, American sociologist and political scientist. ...
- George Moore - Moore, George Moore, George, 1852–1933, English author, b. Ireland. As a young man he lived ...
- Brian Moore - Brian Moore Age: 77 quietly successful Irish-born novelist best known for The Lonely Passion of ...