is an inanimate, shapeless mass (Pliny; Natural History,
x. 64). This abortion was supposed to be produced by the influence of
the moon. The primary meaning of calf is not the young of a cow, but
arising “from throwing out,” as a push, a protuberance; hence the
calves of the legs.
“A false conception, called mola, i.e. moon-calf . . . a lump
of flesh without shape or life.” —Holland: Pliny, vii. 16.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Moon-calf from Infoplease:
- Moon-calf - Moon-calf is an inanimate, shapeless mass (Pliny; Natural History, x. 64). This abortion was ...
- mooncalf: meaning and definitions - mooncalf: Definition and Pronunciation
- Edwin Arlington Robinson: Calverly's - We go no more to Calverly's, For there the lights are few and low; And who are there to see by them, Or what they see, we do not know. Poor strangers
- Michael Drayton - Drayton, Michael Drayton, Michael, 1563–1631, English poet. The son of a prosperous ...
- William Shakespeare: The Tempest, Act II, Scene II - All the infections that the sun sucks up From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall and make him By inch-meal a disease! His spirits hear me And yet I ne
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring