(3 syl.). The head of a faction in Verona (Shakespeare:
Romeo and Juliet). The device of the family is a mountain with sharply-peaked crest (mont-agu or acu).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Montague from Infoplease:
- Montague: meaning and definitions - Montague: Definition and Pronunciation
- Montagu: meaning and definitions - Montagu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ashley Montagu, - Ashley Montagu, Age: 94 anthropologist, known for his works on genetics, paleontology, and other ...
- Ashley Montagu - Montagu, Ashley Montagu, Ashley (Montague Francis Ashley Montagu), 1905–99, British-American ...
- Elizabeth (Robinson) Montagu - Montagu, Elizabeth (Robinson) Montagu, Elizabeth (Robinson), 1720–1800, English author, one ...