[the mountain party ]. The extreme democratic
politicians in the French Revolution; so called because they occupied
the highest tier of benches in the hall of the National Convention. The
opposite party sat on the level of the floor, called the “plain.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Montagnards from Infoplease:
- the Mountain - Mountain, the Mountain, the, in French history, the label applied to deputies sitting on the raised ...
- Montagnards - Montagnards: Montagnards: see Mountain, the.
- Montagnard: meaning and definitions - Montagnard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Montagnards - Montagnards [the mountain party ]. The extreme democratic politicians in the French Revolution; so ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index mod modacrylic fiber modal modal auxiliary modality mode model modeling modelist ...