A theological party of the third century, who maintained
that God is one, immutable and primary. Their opponents turned upon
them, and nicknamed them Patripassians (q.v.), saying that
according to such a doctrine God the Father must have suffered on the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Monarchians from Infoplease:
- Monarchianism: meaning and definitions - Monarchianism: Definition and Pronunciation
- monarchianism - monarchianism monarchianism [Gr.,=belief in the rule of one], the concept of God that maintains his ...
- Monarchians - Monarchians A theological party of the third century, who maintained that God is one, immutable and ...
- Patripassians - Patripassians: Patripassians: see monarchianism.
- Docetism - Docetism Docetism [Gr.,=to appear], early heretical trend in Christian thought. Docetists claimed ...